Dahlia bread recipe
What to do with your large tubers that you have broken when you come out of the ground or that no longer have any germs after separation or that you simply have no place to store them?
Make yourself a dahlia bread!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar (200gr)
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract (7.5ml)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder (2.5 ml)
- ½ tsp. salt (2.5 ml)
- ½ tsp. baking soda (2.5 ml)
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup peeled and grated dahlia tubers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla and vegetable oil.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and ground cinnamon. Mix well.
- Stir in chopped walnuts, chocolate chips and grated dahlia tubers.
For a loaf: Pour the mixture into a well-greased loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the dough comes out clean.
For small cupcakes, pour the mixture into a well-greased cupcake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes at the same temperature. This preparation is enough for 48 small cupcakes
- You will need 250-280g of unpeeled tubers to make one cup of grated dahlias.
- Tubers tend to oxidize quickly when peeled, put them in water to preserve them.
- Dahlia bread and cupcakes keep very well in the freezer.
We found this recipe on the Lobaugh's Dahlias website. We thank them for giving us permission to put it on our site.
Try it, it's excellent and have fun surprising your friends!